Small Talk with Great Love | Ep 003 | Finding Support in Your Feeding Journey with Morgan Jackson, IBCLC
Question No. 1 –– What are some of the most common reasons mamas can benefit from a Lactation Consultant? Are there any lesser known reasons that they may benefit from as well?
- Combo feeding
- Painful latch
- Tethered/inverted nipples
Question No. 2 –– For those who really want to breastfeed, but it doesn’t come naturally, what advice do you have for the emotional side of it? It can be really overwhelming when you’re struggling with breastfeeding right after giving birth.
- Reassess your plan and your goals.
- Try journaling.
- Find a new provider or support group to help you get what you need.
Powering through when something isn't going the way we want it to might be our initial reaction, but that doesn't mean it's the right one.
Question No. 3 –– Let’s talk about pumping. What advice do you give to mamas who are new to the world of pumping?
- Have a plan in place and track your milk.
- Pumping requires time and motivation; tap into your support system as cheerleaders.
- Don't get caught up in having a freezer stash.
- Basket of snacks!
- Turn on an Expectful meditation while you're pumping.
Question No. 4 –– What can mamas expect from a 1:1 Expectful consultation with you? Are there any other support options you offer?
- Prenatal appointments; tips for picking the right pump, health history, creating your feeding plan.
- Newborn calls for helping with feeds.
- Emergency calls: Mastitis, engorgement, etc.
- Weaning support.